THE BUILDING DIVISION administers the State Structural Specialty Code, the Mechanical Specialty Code, the Electrical Specialty Code and the Plumbing Specialty Code. In addition, the Division administers the State of Oregon Provisions regulating the installation of mobile homes, including their connections to plumbing and electrical facilities. The mobile home codes apply both in and out of mobile home parks. Inspectors and plans examiners are usually available in our office between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

SOME PRELIMINARY ADVICEbuilding-inspectorKNOW YOUR LAND. First make sure zoning approval has been obtained for a house on your property, and that the approval is current. Many zoning approvals expire after two years, and cannot be renewed. Approval can then be obtained only through a new application under the regulations now in effect.

If you are not on city services, make sure sewage disposal approval can be obtained for your property if you wish to a build home. For more information contact the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) at 541-776-6214.

You will also want to know about public services such as sewer, water, street, schools, police and fire protection. This knowledge can usually best be gained from the agency supplying the service. Natural hazards related to flooding, high groundwater, erosion, wildfires, and expansive soils are other points to consider. Information regarding these conditions may be available at our office.

START EARLYBegin the permit process well ahead of the date construction is to begin. Six months is not too far in advance. To prevent any unexpected delays, you should always check with Zoning well in advance of any development project. A good rule of thumb is to always run your proposal through Zoning/Land-Use review first.

ASK QUESTIONSObviously this information cannot cover all the areas you will need to consider in your development plans. When questions arise, call or come to our office to discuss them. Qualified staff will usually be available; however, it is advisable to make an appointment with an individual who must frequently be out of the office to conduct inspections.

A WORD OF CAUTIONWhen it comes to property lines, be especially cautious if the federal government owns the land adjacent to yours. Many government tracts have never been accurately surveyed and property lines may be only approximate. If your plans include any development within 200 feet of federal lands, our office will consult with the appropriate government agency to prevent potential property line conflicts.